Monday, March 25, 2013

Tolkien Reading Day

Today, March 25th, is Tolkien Reading Day! This annual event to read and appreciate Tolkien's works was started a decade again. This particular date was chosen because of its significance as the anniversary of Sauron's defeat in Lord of the Rings. For the past couple years, I've made it a point to read something by Tolkien on this day - and this year it's The Hobbit.

This classic story was my first introduction to Tolkien when I was 10 or 11, and other than Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, was the first work of fantasy I read. I can still vividly remember my first foray into The Hobbit - encountering Gandalf for the first time with no idea of how far his journey will go, meeting all thirteen dwarves as they tumble into Bag-End, growing with Bilbo as he changes and matures on his journey. Like so many before me, I've been in love with Middle-earth since my first introduction to it.

One major reason I wanted to re-read The Hobbit is due to the recent release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in December and the upcoming releases of the two sequels this winter and next winter. I was interested in refreshing my memory of the book and compare it to the films, seeing as how it's been a year or two since I last read it.

Now, I didn't see any of the original film trilogy in theaters, but I began to read the books about the time the movies were released, and saw the films shortly thereafter. The movies made real to me a world that I had become acquainted with through Tolkien's fantastic works. Being able to actually see those lands and the characters helped me feel connected to the world. The green rolling hills of the Shire, the White City, and the Black Gate of Mordor - seeing them was and remains an incredible experience. I remember those sensations that washed over me the first time I saw those places and scenes as portrayed through Peter Jackson's films.

But of course, there's only one time to be able to experience things for the first time. So even though I frequently re-read the tales of Middle-earth and watch the trilogy, that initial feeling of discovery can't be reclaimed. I honestly never expected to be able to have a first time in the world of Middle-earth ever again. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised - okay, I'll be honest, I was ecstatic - to learn that The Hobbit would be made (and even more excited to learn that it would become three films, but that was revealed awhile later). My excitement grew as casting choices were made - I absolutely love the performance of Martin Freeman (who plays Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit) as John Watson in the BBC Sherlock as well as Richard Armitage's (Thorin Oakenshield) rather brooding and moody portrayal of Guy of Gisborne in the BBC Robin Hood. This was a movie I was greatly anticipating.

And then the day finally came when I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in theaters (24 fps 2D the first time, followed by 48 fps 3D the second time - absolutely breathtaking). I'm glad to say it completely lived up to expectations and then some - the cast did an amazing job, the costumes and sets were lovely, and the CGI looked fantastic. Even with the changes made in the movie - I loved the film and am looking forward to the next two.

Now it may seem like I'm laying it rather heavy on the film and neglecting the books, but the truth is I adore the books. I'm a prolific reader and to be honest, it was Tolkien's genius that prompted me to begin writing - a path I'm still pursue wholeheartedly. I fully appreciate Tolkien's imagination and world-building - and he did a incredible job of story-building and character development. Bilbo's journey from timid Shireling to brave Burglar is a timeless transformation. Without Tolkien's works, the films wouldn't exist; without his works, we would be missing one of the greatest fictional works of all time.

The point of this long-winded post was to express my recognition for Tolkien's works. He was a skilled writing, and his works have impacted my life, among many others. So today let's appreciate the fantastic world he built and the characters he created with which to tell stories that will last the ages.

P.S. If the only works of Tolkien's that you have read are The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, I highly recommend you read more of his books, especially The Silmarillion. Fantastic stuff and provides so much background and history that deepens your understanding and enjoyment of the other books.

4 comments:

  1. Makes me want to both read the books and see the films!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read the Silmarillian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really should read "The Hobbit" again sometime, maybe today. I haven't read any of Tolkien's books in ages!

      I absolutely loved the casting for "An Unexpected Journey". I can't think of anyone who could have played Bilbo better than Martin Freeman, and I also liked Richard Armitage as Thorin (especially since I liked his character in "North and South").



      Delete
    2. I've not seen North and South, but it looks good. I shall definitely have to watch it!

      In other news, my copy of The Hobbit: AUJ just arrived at the library. I know what I'm doing tonight!

      Delete