Saturday, March 2, 2013

Reading in 2013

After a quick tally this morning, I discovered that over the past two years I read about a hundred books. This isn't an exact count as I'm pretty confident I missed getting one or two books onto my list, but it's close. This was encouraging to discover, because I have decided to read at least fifty-two books during 2013 - a book for every week of the year - and was excited to see that I've nearly met this goal for the past two years.

Since 2013 began I have already re-read the entire Percy Jackson series, as well as the sequel series, Heroes of Olympus, which I thought was much better than the first series. Don't get me wrong - the original series is an excellent read and extremely witty, but the intricacy of the plots and depth of each character is much greater in the second series.

I'm also one book away from finishing the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforyd. I must say, humorous novels typically aren't my mug of tea, but these books have kept me laughing. I think my interest is partially due to the whopping amount of literary references strewn throughout the pages. Between this series and the Percy Jackson books, I've already finished fifteen books this year, which puts me six weeks ahead of schedule. Not that I'm complaining - this gives me leeway in case reading doesn't happen in the weeks ahead.

Some of the books I intend to read in 2013 include Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, several of L. E. Modesitt's series, such as The Imager Portfolio and The Corean Chronicles, and finally reading all of the Honor Harrington novels.  The recent release of the beginning of The Hobbit film trilogy has me desiring to re-enter one of the first magical lands I ever visited. I also need to catch up on the few recent Ted Dekker books I haven't yet read and keep abreast with his releases throughout the year (Sovereign, I have my eye on you).

I plan to read more of Stephen Lawhead's works before traveling to Great Britain, which should put me right in the mood! I may even read some classics by Dumas, Verne, and Dickens, which I have been determined to read for awhile but keep putting off. And I might decide to worm my way back through some fantasy series such as The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, which I never quite finished the first time through, and read some new ones I recently became familiar with, such as The Kingkiller Chronicles. Needless to say, there are plenty of books I'd like to read, and I hope to make a huge dent in my reading list this year.

What about you? Do you have a reading goal set for 2013? Or have you read some good books recently which you would recommend? I'm always looking for new material to read! Feel free to share in the comments below.

6 comments:

  1. I know you're going to love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! Maybe my favorite book. I have so many books I want to read this year, but I never thought of setting a goal amount. Not a bad plan! I love Ray Bradbury's work. Dandelion Wine was a great read, very emotional. And I'm currently reading The October Country by him as well. You should read a Tale of Two Cities by Dickens! His best work in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any of Bradbury's works yet, though I'm familiar with several (like Fahrenheit 451). Interestingly enough, A Tale of Two Cities is one of the classics I hope to read this year!

      Delete
  2. So ambitiousness! Unfortunately, I do not have a goal for this year. I used to read so much more. In fact, my punishment as a kid was that I wasn't allowed to read! Ha ha! Now I find that life (and I must admit, TV) has gotten in the way. Maybe I should set a goal, even if it is just a book a month.
    BTW, I added a book-list by going into the layout section and adding a gadget. It's called List. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand how things get in the way - last year I hardly read any until summertime. Then I was working a job which had a couple free hours every afternoon, so I just took my books and made the most of it. :)
      Lovely, thank you!

      Delete
  3. I keep getting distracted by life myself. I'm currently reading LIFE OF PI. Yann Martel's intro was so witty, I re-read it three times just for the enjoyment. I also have a goal to read some of the classics that I've never read. Your's is a great goal - good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read Life of Pi but hear good things, so I'll add it to my list!

      Delete