Thursday, March 14, 2013

Home Again

So here I am after 5 days spent in Galveston on spring break mission trip with UT Arlington's BSM. After playing soccer matches with little kids, sharing 7 showers with 40-something other ladies, and sunburning my legs, it's nice to be home again. But what a fantastic trip it was!

We drove down to Galveston on Saturday and returned home on Wednesday. The main work my group did on the trip was hosting kids' club Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning during which we played games and shared the gospel. This was followed by block parties Monday and Tuesday afternoon, which was really a great opportunity to interact with the kids and parents in the community.

But personally, I found Saturday night to be the best experience of the trip. Before arriving in Galveston, the car I was riding in and two other vehicles made a stop at a church to provide some assistance for the evening. We served dinner to part of the community - dinner consisting of a hot dog and a bag of chips. We also handed out bags of groceries which contained eggs, meat, bread, spinach, and a jar of peanut butter. It struck me to see how needy these people are. While a hot dog is barely a meal for me, these people were so grateful for something so simple. It touched me to be able to work with the church to help this group of people and provide them with food and groceries.

Another meaningful experience was Wednesday night while driving home. After watching a gorgeous sunset, my good friend Ashlee, who was driving, and another lovely lady, Tamara, had a conversation that covered several topics, including prayer and a personal relationship with our Heavenly Father, daily Bible reading, and witnessing the miraculous things God does in our lives. This discussion was uplifting to me and I hope it was a blessing to you ladies as well.

It was incredible to see how God used me and my fellow students to touch the lives of those around us. My first mission trip was a wonderful experience and I am grateful I was able to go and spread the gospel with such a fantastic group of people!

2 comments:

  1. Pleased for you that you were able to have this experience. It will be an encouragement for the every-day-ness of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true, we often take for granted the simplest of things. Thank you for that important reminder, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete