Thursday, March 21, 2013

A Day on My Bike

This afternoon I spent some time on a story I fully intended to post, but that story kept growing longer and longer until I realized there was no way I could finish it this afternoon. So instead I drew up this little snapshot from my bike ride earlier this morning.


I leaned to one side as I rounded the corner, shoes firmly pressed to the peddles. A border collie came bounding out across the lawn, barking at the stranger flying down his street, and I threw him a smile. The gray clouds hovering overhead blocked the rays of sunlight and kept me cool as I traveled my regular route.

I whipped my gaze forward as the sound of tires on gravel alerted me to an approaching vehicle. With the wind roaring across my face, it was difficult to tell exactly how close the car was until I saw it. I slowed slightly and hugged the side of the road as the silver pick-up truck sped by, then began to pick up the pace.

As I crested the hill, I peddled my hardest. I rolled over the slope and stood, legs straight, neck craning forward. My bike coasted down the hill, gliding faster and faster as the momentum sped it on. The wind whipped into my face and through my hair. A laugh bubbled up from my chest. And as I sped into the wind, I could touch the sky.

1 comment: