Monday, February 25, 2013

Writing Prompts

Due to a couple of queries and comments made by +Susannah Durling and +Rachel Kniffin, I decided to compile a list of my favorite writing prompt sources for curious parties. Mind you, there's quite a few here and I don't complete all of them every day. I like to skim through each day's prompts and then write on whichever one jiggles something inside my brain. Hopefully some of you will find a few that you like and be inspired to write regularly as well!

Oneword.com - Exactly what it says. You're given one word and 60 seconds to write whatever the word brings to mind.

One Minute Writer - A prompt is given for each day and you have 60 seconds to write. The prompts vary from fun to serious, fanciful to down-to-earth. 

Friday Flash Fiction - Also from One Minute Writer. You enter a short work of fiction (between 100 and 1,000 words) based on the prompt, and the winner gets shared on the sight along with a bio and small prize. 

The Write Prompts - I love this one. There's a different type of prompt for each day of the week, so let's see what they're all about!
  • Journal Mondays - You're given a prompt to write about for fifteen minutes. 
  • Image Tuesdays - A image is posted with the instructions to study it for a few minutes and then write about it.
  • Poetry Wednesdays - The prompt reads "For the poetry writers. Even if you do not normally write poetry make an effort to complete this exercise." You're given a topic as well as a form to follow. A challenge for me, personally, as I'm not good at poetry.
  • One Word Thursdays - One word is posted. No time limit.
  • Dirty Dozen Fridays - You're given 12 words, all of which you are supposed to incorporate into a story of your own in 15 minutes. 
  • Continue On Saturdays - The start of a line or story is supplied and are supposed to continue it.
  • Quote Weekends - You're provided with a quote to write about over the weekend. These quotes are typically thought provoking or inspirational. 
52 Lists - Moorea Seal provides a different topic to form a list for every week. No time limit, a great one to ponder as the week goes on.


All credit for everything on this list goes to the owners of the respective blogs and websites; I've merely slapped a few links into a post. I'll be sure to add to this list if I find more that I like. For now, I hope this list prompts some creativity!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. I was about to send you an email and ask for a list! Starting March 1st I am going to pick one from the list and use it all month (Not moving to another site). I need the challenge and practice. Thank you again:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great plan! I find these to be a easy and enjoyable way to get creative writing in frequently. Rach, do you have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, just found yours at http://rachelkniffin.blogspot.com/. Looking forward to seeing where it takes you!

      Delete