Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Why I Write: Part 2


The second part in my Why I Write series. You can read the first post here. These are not in any particular order - I have a list of reasons as to why I write and will be sharing each one as I feel so inclined. 

Why I Write: To Explore What Moves Me

"Write about what interests you, whether it is real things or imaginary things, and nothing else." C.S. Lewis."

Another reason why I write is to understand what moves me - my interests, my passions. I believe each writer is obsessed with one (or a few) specific emotions and ideas that consume them to the point where they're forced to write about them merely to keep a clear head. I know I am. I re-read everything I've written and find one particular similar strain running through each work.

For awhile I thought my overwhelming obsession was friendship. This belief was encouraged by the fact that I don't particularly care for romance novels or movies, always preferring platonic love to romantic. Don't get me wrong, I still like a well-written romance, but it has to have plenty of story to keep my attention. 

So I wrote about friendship, and continue to write about friendship. I pick up on this theme quickly in other works of fiction, and I cherish my own close friendships greatly.

Then I realized it's not just about friendship. Friendship is just a catalyst that leads to what truly moves me.

What moves me most is Sacrifice. 

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." 

Most of us are probably familiar with this verse out of The Scriptures. It speaks of sacrifice - specifically the Ultimate Sacrifice. Laying down your life to protect someone or something that you love.

This is the particular form of sacrifice that I am most enamored with, that I find myself returning to repeatedly with pen in hand, that I will shed tears over. It manages to worm its way into almost everything I write, even if this was not the original intent.

But I have to remind myself that there are other forms of sacrifice, perhaps less serious, that are important as well. It's the little things that can make such a big difference in a life. Giving some change to that panhandler on the corner. Taking a few seconds out of your day to give directions to that stranger you don't like the looks of. 

Sometimes these little sacrifices can matter just as much as the bigger ones. And that's something I would do well to remember. In my obsession with giving it all for those you love, I could stand to be reminded of the small things that can make such a big impact on a life. 

As a writer, I write not only to share what moves me, but to explore it for my own purposes. This allows me to more intimately understand it. And expressing it is helps me keep a level head. This investigation helps me to grow. So here's to sacrifice - in both big ways and small.

No comments:

Post a Comment