Monday, April 1, 2013

Dream On


Have you ever woken up and felt like you managed to live three or four lifetimes since the last time you were conscious? Has it all felt so real to you that you had to take the time to sort through your memories and determine was is real and what is just imaginings?

That was me yesterday morning. I remember waking up the instant my alarm went off, but it took six more seconds for me to regain my wits enough to turn it off.

It took a shower, a cinnamon roll, and some music by Barcelona before I figured out what was and wasn't real. It had all been so vivid. And it had all been so intense. 

I remember dreaming about traveling. Road-trip to Arizona, I believe. I remember wrangling two beautiful horses - a bay and a palomino  I remember meeting a couple of celebrities - and that's all I'm saying on that.

These dreams remind me of the time I woke up and honestly thought I was a character from a TV show - yeah, that time. I've never been so totally and utterly confused in my life. It took a few minutes to come to terms with the fact that reality was my bedroom, my snoring sister, and my blurry vision.

I dream a lot, about a wide variety of things. Through the years I've had a tendency to dream in black and white, although I've noticed that inclination diminishing recently. However, my dreams are still silent - there's never any sound. I'm not exactly sure how that works - telepathy? - but it all makes perfect sense while I'm dreaming it.

I guess that last sentence says it all. It's all so real and fantastic while dreaming it, and you never want it to end (except for those horrible dreams about deadlines and bad grades and such). And then suddenly you're snapped back to reality.

But you know what? That's okay. Because dreams give us something to aspire to. They prompt us to live a better life. They motive us to make the dream become reality. So here's to the magic of dreams, and the ways in which they move us.

2 comments:

  1. I generally remember the feeling but not the details of the dream and I wonder, what happened to leave this feeling? I've always thought remembering the actual dream could make for some great writing, but perhaps I'll just have to write the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes have after effects like that as well. I've recently started writing my dreams down so I can refer back to them for inspiration.

      Delete